Monday, November 27, 2006

RSS- Your Computer, anywhere.

I've discovered the wonders of RSS, really simple syndication. It's basically a way for you to collect all of your favorite blogs, webcomics, and internet content in one place for easy viewing.

I spent some time researching various RSS aggregators, software that collects and displays your feeds, and was referred to several services including news is free, which offers not only an aggregator but many many feeds to search (the feed is the link between the website and content you want and the aggregator, the small piece of software that goes and gets your news for you) to find the ones you like.

However, being the lazy bum I am, I just wanted to use my google signin. Wouldn't want them to miss a piece of my information. So I did a little looking around and found my Google Reader, a google based news aggregator. So far it's working out pretty well.

In order to make even more of my computer available online, I went over to Del.icio.us. If you're like me, you'd heard of the danged thing but dismissed it because of the ridiculous name. Del.icio.us allows you to put your bookmarks onto their service for access from anywhere online. Combine this with your google reader and with two tabs you have access to your entire online experience (gmail [or your e-mail provider of choice] and del.icio.us). Anything without an RSS feed (look around on your favorite sites, they're probably on there in some nook.) can be added as a simple bookmark in del.icio.us.

Not a lot of work, considering how much easier it is to peruse all your websites from any computer with those nifty services.

P.S. Now if only someone would make a mashup that lets you use your del.icio.us or google login to save all of your passwords... Sure, it'd let someone else get into your Cloud of Information with a single password, but this isn't access to anything they couldn't find on their own online anyway.

No comments: